Skip to main content

Saying No is Strength

Yesterday, I received the invitation I had been waiting for 5 months. I already knew what I was going to do but seeing that I had now been officially given an opportunity to Accept or Decline was surreal.

I paused.
All of the reasons why this is not the right time for me completely left my mind. I wanted so badly to click the green button. 
Unpause.
The mystique of the Laurel Highlands Ultra must have something to do with the logistics just as much as the distance (70.5 miles). A point-to-point race with a finish in a small town of 1 hotel. It takes place the same time as another event, making it nearly impossible to find any affordable accommodations. Someone posted a Seven Springs condo for 12 people at $419/night. I asked about any camping options, and the RD never responded. Camping wouldn't be ideal anyways. But to pay nearly $1000 for 2 nights when I would sleep maybe 8 hours total Friday night through Sunday morning, seems ridiculous.
Remembering this, I then pressed the red button without any hesitation.
If it doesn't feel right, it's not right. Not for right now. I'll revisit this race in early December when registration opens for 2025. 
Sometimes it takes guts to say "no." 

x
x



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bull Run Run 50-miler

Official Time: 12:31:31 ( a 50-miler PR) I did it. I’m not sure how, but I crossed the finish line yesterday of the Bull Run Run 50-miler. It had been an intimidating race from the moment I shared with others who had run it in the past. I heard all sorts of stories - the infamous Do Loop, the rolling hills, the unpredictable weather, the tough cutoff, the rocky sections that might trip you up later on. I also heard about how it was one of the most beautiful races with the BEST volunteers. I chose to keep the latter in my mind!  Although the “BRR” makes me think of cold weather, and years past it has snowed and stormed and apparently gone through all 4 seasons in a day one year, yesterday’s weather was not what anybody was prepared for. It was hot and humid with cloud coverage most of the day … until the sun came out at 3:30pm and scorched your left side as you ran along the waterline of Occoquan River.  It being early April, I was not acclimated to 90% humidity. For a few mile...

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco...

This event was not about me at all. It was about helping my amazing friend Dylan accomplish what he has been training for months, for over a year for. The experience was so memorable; however, I had to get it out. I've paced a couple friends at their attempts of 100-milers at Devil Dog in 2022 and 2023. Unfortunately, neither of them finished and I took it to heart, I really did. The cutoff at DD is strict, and the weather is cold. I've never seen that course in daylight, and I don't ever want to. That is not the race I want to die on. The C&O 100 has been on my radar because it's the closest 100-miler to home. Before it was even a WSER qualifier, I had considered it but it's also the flattest and I like climbing, which is why I haven't hit the Register Now button. However, after running the last 30 miles of it, I am reconsidering. Driving to Knoxville, MD from home at 9pm on a Saturday night seemed odd. I was up all day and tried to take it easy. I walked i...

YO! Fat Ass Rocky 50k Run

"It ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." ~Rocky Balboa It was just after 4:00am on Saturday morning and my heart was racing as we drove 80mph on 95N heading to Philadelphia. The car had just slid on the ramp from route 32. Richard was playing it cool, but I could tell he was white knuckling it as the sleet and snow came down heavier outside.  We had to make it to South Philly by 6:55am, 7:00am at the latest, for the unofficial "fat ass" Rocky 50k Run, dammit. This weather was not in the forecast the night before. I thought, maybe, I'd be able to get a little more sleep on the way there as I barely slept, worried I'd miss my 3:30am alarm. I'm glad I finally got up at 3:28am because it turns out I had forgotten to actually turn my alarm on. Oops! Lori was in the back seat and all of our running gear, fuel/food, shoes, post-run clothes, and hydration packs were in the trunk. Richard was already ...