Skip to main content

Mental Health Awareness Month


This month, I am running in support of Mental Health Awareness Month! I run for my mental well-being and am very grateful to live in Columbia, Maryland with its 96+ miles of paved trails. My goal this month is to run all 96 of them and tracking them on the CA Pathway Map while raising money for the National Alliance of Mental Illness of Howard County. NAMI helps thousands of people all year long. Please consider donating to NAMI, a cause that supports you and/or your loved ones, or join me as I run/walk/explore the paths! 



Below are some of the interesting things I've learned from exploring Columbia Association's paths.

Lessons from Traversing the CA Paths

  1. Most paths that lead UP to streets, are incredibly steep. Great for hill repeats. 

  2. There are many hidden ponds in neighborhoods with lots of wildlife. 

  3. Since I am running up and down to cul-de-sacs (where the trail dead ends), many people think I’m lost. 

  4. I got 96 miles and a road doesn’t count as 1. Therefore, I’ll be running way more than that this month to cover them all. 

  5. Longfellow is quite hilly. The kids who walk the paths to the elementary school everyday twice a day, are strong and will have lots of character!

  6. Some tot lots are wonderful. Although, I have yet to see any kids playing on them. I did see an adult on a bench and another adult on a swing. 

  7. Lots of goose poop around this time of year. And sweet baby geese. Not so sweet mother geese. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bull Run Run 50-miler

Official Time: 12:31:31 ( a 50-miler PR) I did it. I’m not sure how, but I crossed the finish line yesterday of the Bull Run Run 50-miler. It had been an intimidating race from the moment I shared with others who had run it in the past. I heard all sorts of stories - the infamous Do Loop, the rolling hills, the unpredictable weather, the tough cutoff, the rocky sections that might trip you up later on. I also heard about how it was one of the most beautiful races with the BEST volunteers. I chose to keep the latter in my mind!  Although the “BRR” makes me think of cold weather, and years past it has snowed and stormed and apparently gone through all 4 seasons in a day one year, yesterday’s weather was not what anybody was prepared for. It was hot and humid with cloud coverage most of the day … until the sun came out at 3:30pm and scorched your left side as you ran along the waterline of Occoquan River.  It being early April, I was not acclimated to 90% humidity. For a few mile...

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco...

This event was not about me at all. It was about helping my amazing friend Dylan accomplish what he has been training for months, for over a year for. The experience was so memorable; however, I had to get it out. I've paced a couple friends at their attempts of 100-milers at Devil Dog in 2022 and 2023. Unfortunately, neither of them finished and I took it to heart, I really did. The cutoff at DD is strict, and the weather is cold. I've never seen that course in daylight, and I don't ever want to. That is not the race I want to die on. The C&O 100 has been on my radar because it's the closest 100-miler to home. Before it was even a WSER qualifier, I had considered it but it's also the flattest and I like climbing, which is why I haven't hit the Register Now button. However, after running the last 30 miles of it, I am reconsidering. Driving to Knoxville, MD from home at 9pm on a Saturday night seemed odd. I was up all day and tried to take it easy. I walked i...

YO! Fat Ass Rocky 50k Run

"It ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." ~Rocky Balboa It was just after 4:00am on Saturday morning and my heart was racing as we drove 80mph on 95N heading to Philadelphia. The car had just slid on the ramp from route 32. Richard was playing it cool, but I could tell he was white knuckling it as the sleet and snow came down heavier outside.  We had to make it to South Philly by 6:55am, 7:00am at the latest, for the unofficial "fat ass" Rocky 50k Run, dammit. This weather was not in the forecast the night before. I thought, maybe, I'd be able to get a little more sleep on the way there as I barely slept, worried I'd miss my 3:30am alarm. I'm glad I finally got up at 3:28am because it turns out I had forgotten to actually turn my alarm on. Oops! Lori was in the back seat and all of our running gear, fuel/food, shoes, post-run clothes, and hydration packs were in the trunk. Richard was already ...